Ingrown hair is an uncomfortable and annoying problem that everyone could do without. So what are the best ways to make sure this doesn’t happen to you? Exfoliating once a week is a great way to avoid ingrown hair – it clears dead skin cells from the surface and clears the way for new hairs to grow in the way they're supposed to.
If epilation is your favoured way of removing hair we recommend exfoliating two days before epilating for the best results. Using a shaving gel will help the razor to glide over your skin and avoid ingrown hair on the pubic area.
Avoiding dull blades is another way to prevent irritated skin. We recommend replacing your Braun shaver head every eighteen months to keep it working just as well as the day you bought it. These hair removal hacks will reduce the risks of ingrown pubic hair and keep your shaver working efficiently.
What is exfoliation?
Exfoliation is the term for removing dead skin cells. Buffing away dead skin cells reveals fresh and youthful looking skin that radiates an irresistible glow.
How to avoid ingrown hair – the definitive mini-guide
Be aware: exfoliation is great for your skin, but in some cases you should put it off, e.g. if you are sunburned or have any open cuts or wounds.
1. Get wet: Step into the shower and wet your body from head to toe.
2. Circular rotation: buff your skin with gentle circular motions. Take special care on shins and calves, where ingrown hair are most often found.
3. Use your favorite product or scrub to exfoliate.
4. Don’t scrub too hard, if you are exfoliating a sensitive area you might want to use a gentler product or a softer brush.
5. Apply a moisturizing / hydrating lotion after getting out of the shower or bath.
6. Remember: moisturize regularly.
How to shave pubic hair for women
Use Braun SkinSpa to exfoliate – it works up to 6x better than by hand.
Using Braun SkinSpa is a uniquely effective experience. Sonic exfoliation technology delivers more than 3000 micro-vibrations per minute to exfoliate your skin. Ideally suited to all skin types and preferences: Braun has 2 different specially designed body brushes: deep exfoliation and gentle exfoliation.
Braun deep exfoliation brush
Gentle yet effective, this brush features uniquely triangular shaped high performance bristles. Regular use helps to avoid hair getting stuck under the skin surface and visibly improves skin appearance.
Braun gentle exfoliation brush
This high-density brush with 10,000 fine bristles gently removes dead skin cells and stimulates skin regeneration. For irresistibly smooth and silky skin you can’t stop touching.
1. How long does it take for an ingrown hair to go away?
Despite being painful and annoying, most ingrown hairs can go away within a few days but in extreme cases they can take up to a couple of weeks.
2. Are different hair types more prone to ingrown hair?
If you have coarse or curly hair you may be more likely to develop ingrown hair so may want to take more precautions.
3. What should I do before removing hair?
Using a mild soap on the skin you wish to shave or epilate and using a lubricating shaving cream or gel can help to get a smoother experience.